Diary of An Indian Princess

 

 

 

Reflections on the benefits and perils of being a leftie

The good stuff
1) People make you feel special. When they occasionally exclaim 'Oh! I never knew you were left handed!' when they notice you write, or hold your utensils.
2) People think you are smart by default. There is old wives tale floating around that says left-handed people are very smart. I'm hoping maybe it's true. ;)
3) People think that you're creative and must suck at math and science or smth..I always wanted to be arty farty.
4) You get nice arm muscles out of having to write on right-handed flap tables, with no elbow support.
5) You're the closest thing there'll probably ever be to ambidexterity.
6) You get to form your own exclusive 'lefties' club- currently comprising of still, the sole founding members- Neela, Leela, Shenjala n Mo. Coincidentally Leela's also born on Oct 2nd..juz like Neela..ooh freaky.

The stuff that made you wish you were just normal (oh..like any other person in the room)
1)People get jealous that you're special and make funny jokes about you. Like last week, my uncle decided that left-handed people must born the wrong way around, and probably have their hearts on the right side (dextrocardia). Hmph.
2) We are misunderstood. People think that just 'cos you're a leftie, you have to wear your watch on your right hand. Like hullooo...
3) We get yelled at by tamil teachers in primary school for accepting exam papers with our left hands.. I am still traumatized. (Especially so since I sincerely thought that that tamil teacher must be dead by now..he looked like he was ready to die when he was teaching us already..but I just saw him on TV on Saturday. Oh man.)
4) We get forced(if you're Indian) into learning how to eat with our right hands..
5) We keep knocking into people sitting on our left side when we're writing. :( And it always feels like its our faultThis could be a good thing if there was a hottie on your left side :) )

Hence I conclude,
That since the pros obviously outweigh the cons 6 to 5...by 20 whole percent, everyone should start being a leftie today!!

Mo charmed @ Sunday, September 25, 2005
comments